Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Skimming A Coat

A milestone in sanding was reached today. I sanded down not just the filler that I put on yesterday but also the canopy line down to the tape. After that I started removing the top layer of tape.

That turned out no to be real easy. You really have to sand down to the tape on the very edge were it contacts the epoxy. If you leave a little bit overlapping because you get worried you might sand through a bit above that line, you might tape stuck underneath the epoxy like I did. It took quite a while to get everything out.
Here the results of the filler sanding.

After all the remnants of the tape were removed, I put another protective layer of blue tape on the canopy, sanded down the edge of the epoxy down to the last layer of electric tape and then brushed on the skim coat no. 1.
I also added some micro-balloon filler on the left side in two spots.

For tomorrow the plan is to lightly sand the skim coat and the filled area on the left and then apply another dyed skim coat.
I've noticed that my 34-PLY TEMPLATE page is a bad copy and that the soon to be important part which is the final trim template is not legible. Important lines are just not visible on my print. I've asked Van's to send me a replacement copy and they agreed - reluctantly. I had to ask twice and explain it in detail why I think they should provide me with a replacement as they had sent me a bad copy.
I hope that the template arrives before I feel the need to do the final trimming. I guess I could hold off and wait a few days for the template once the canopy is off the fuselage and I could finally work on something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment