Wednesday, June 26, 2013

More Vinyl and a Fuel Cap

I caught up with where I had exited section 37, the Fuel Tank section, and happily noticed (but only faintly remembered) that I had completed the leak test on it before. I was then even using a pressure gauge instead of porous balloon and that helped my memory a little bit. The next step before installing the tank in the plane (which will also require the use of ProSeal again which I am not ready for tonight),  was to drill a vent hole in the cap.
For this the cap has to get disassembled which also gives a good idea of how it works when it's put back together. The reason for the disassembly is not that you could right drill through it while it is still in one piece but to be able remove the vast amount of drill chips after you have done so. The ample use of fuel lube on the O-ring does not help that task either, so disassembly is the way to go.

This is how it looks when you are done with this step.



The instructions tell you that the hole in the bottom piece must not align with the hole in the top piece, and they certainly won't as the bottom piece has to be adjusted for proper tightening which requires it do be turned.

After this step and realizing that I was not ready for the tank installation, I went on to removing more vinyl from parts that scattered all around the patio. This time I worked on the wings or better, one wing - the one exposed to the sun.


Watch how little the part in the lower left corner changes (the far outmost part of the right wing):


It happens that this lower spot is being hit by the sun every morning when it rises over the mountain ridge. That was enough to make this piece deteriorate to the point where you cannot pull it off anymore.
I started scraping but it got too dark too quickly to really make significant improvement. More fun with it tomorrow evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment