Monday, June 24, 2013

Fuel Nozzle Modified

When I came home I removed the rest of the vinyl on the tailcone which was uneventful as most of it came right off or needed only a little persuasion.
So I went on to work on the fuel nozzle which I had put away since it was painted. The one thing that I did not like abut the planned installation was that it required the application of ProSeal only to then fiddle with tiny nuts to put on the screws holding the nozzle to the skin. That whole setup is supposed to get tightened only to the point where the sealant oozes out and then builds a seal when cured.
This is already a delicate and messy process and fiddling with those nuts wouldn't make it easier. Also, for future removal, it would require a second person inside the fuselage if the rear window was not supposed to get removed as well.
So, I decided to replace those nuts with nutplates, K1000-06 to be specific. Here's the picture documentation of this well know process.





This should make the ProSeal installation much easier and cleaner (fingers crossed!).

No comments:

Post a Comment