Monday, July 16, 2012

Oil Reservoir Installed

I had had one issue with the RV12-EGT harness that I had installed in section 45A earlier. The issue was that the harness didn't come with a backshell mounted to it but the instructions did nowhere reference the installation of a backshell nor was one provided in the various bags that came with the Powerplant Kit. So I decided to resort to the last instance to ask for help, Van's Builder Support.
I emailed them and yesterday and this morning I already had a one line response. I wouldn't exactly call it a full sentence but it was a response. Here my email:
Hi,

I recently received my RV-12 Powerplant Kit and when working on 45A-04 I found the RV12-EGT harness missing a backshell. I am not surprised about that as during Avionics installation the builder had to put these on after adding more wires to the plug. However, the figures on 45A-04 show the backshell installed and I couldn't find a backshell in the bags that came with the Powerplant kit. Also I couldn't find any reference to installing the missing backshell at some later time in the instructions after section 45A. I've attached a picture of the EGT plug as installed.

Please advise,

I even added a picture of the backshell-missing harness.
Ken S responded precisely but somehow minimalistic:

In avionics kit.

So when I got home I searched the bags of the avionics kit (or better the inventory list) to find a backshell that hadn't been used yet. And sure enough, I was successful:

It had no label or a tag that indicated what it was supposed to get used for, so the ordinary builder cannot really have any idea this would get used with a harness that's part of another kit. Particularly if the instructions don't even tell you to install a backshell to begin with.
Anyway, problem solved. I just love the comment Dave had to say about Ken S.'s response, which I will not quote here as we are a family friendly blog and we want to keep this rating.

Here the installed harness with a handmade label on the backshell.

Next was the continuation of section 49 where I had left off yesterday. The gasket for the heater door had to be fabricated. In order to prepare the door for the RTV application, I removed the door from the frame and used the SB wheel to rough up the stainless steel (I know you are not supposed to do that due to possible contamination but it was just too tempting to do a quicky with the whell).
Wax was applied to the firewall front and I reinstall the door prior to the RTV application.

Then I pushed hard on the door to fully close it and attached clamps to hold the door shut while the RTV is setting.

The following step, the installation of the water radiator, couldn't be done as that required the RTV to be set, which won't happen before tomorrow evening.
So I skipped to prepping the coolant overflow bottle for its installation.

I cut the hoses for the following coolant installations.

And I installed the oil reservoir with the provided clamps. Please note that it is possible that the clamp on the top rim could interfere with the right carburetor when you try to insert the can into the holder. If this is happening, just turn the can until it passes the carburetor, tighten the clamps and then unlock the top rim lock so you can adjust the top to the position that's best for the hoses and lock the top clamp back down.

It's really coming together now!

Hopefully, I can install the radiator and the oil cooler tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment