Sunday, March 20, 2011

Paint Session One Completed

Whew, that went fast! I got up early to catch the first light and wait for the temperatures to rise to 65 degrees which is the minimu for application. Then you should keep up 70 degrees for 12 hours to allow the paint to cure. Well, were else could you do that than in Tucson in Spring time? We got to 67 degrees at 9:30 am and I got ready to paint at 10:15 am. This should allow the paint to cure before the night temperatures cool the paint booth down as well.
Not many photos yet and the paint is still not completely dry to the touch yet. I stopped spraying a little after 11 am, so that's within tolerances.


This time I took the safety gear real serious. This is Polyurethane after all, despite the low VOC and all. The paint filter pads in front of the charcoal filters were soaked after the job and will have to be replaced for the next run I believe.


Peeking in through the plastic curtain. It looks much better to the human eye but I have to say that I am quite happy with the finish so far. I just hope it cures like this. Oh, and I did not use my HF gun on the paint job but an Italian AOM K1/ SX which I had bought (but not yet used) before becoming so happy with the latest HF gun. The reason why I didn't want to shoot the paint with it was that the last primer session caused a lot of very fine dust in the booth and I wanted to see if the AOM would not do that. Bingo! It delivered a fine but not too fine mist with a minimum of back spray and almost no floating mist. My paint coverall was almost like new when I got out of the booth after an hour.


Downside? Oh, well, the price tag is way above anything you could buy from HF. Works like a charm though!

I'm not quite done with painting the parts yet. The seat backs' other side will have to get a treatment and I have 3 larger primed parts sitting in the shop that didn't make it into the paint booth today. I might throw a second session in tomorrow morning if I can ...

No comments:

Post a Comment