Sunday, July 7, 2013

Wheel Fairings Started

Early in the morning I started cleaning up some open sections. Among them was the "installation" of the steps. I still did not install the steps but I installed the hardware in the holes that will eventually hold the steps to the fuselage. That way I was able to finish the section without a bad conscience.
I also finished the canopy section by finally re-drilling the 3 front holes that were covered by the glasswork when building up the skirt.




I even finished the last piece of tedious work that was left over from removing the pedals when they were leaking brake fluid - the little brackets that connect the tunnel to the instrument shelf. I honestly hate these little brackets! It took me painful 20 minutes to just insert the two top screws and get them tightened. There is just no room to work a screw driver without slipping the tip in the head of the screw.


Finally I prevailed but I honestly hope I will never have to remove them ever again!

By then I was covered in sweat from working on these brackets and I was not sure what else made sense to work on. The antenna installations will have to wait a few days while I am waiting for the star washers to arrive and so I decided to start the messy work on the wheel fairings. Sanding fiberglass in 105 degF is no fun but there just was nothing else to do.

The first step was to reduce the overlap of fiberglass on the inside of the front piece on the top, so it would neatly and smoothly transition to the aft half.



The fiberglass is rather thick and it is hard to tell if the material was removed evenly, so I assume I will have to revisit this step when the parts have been sanded back to their scribe lines.

But before that Van's asked me to sand back the tire openings. For now I just went to the scribe line but I might open it up a little bit as it seems to be awfully close to the tire.




That was enough work in the heat and I called it quits when the afternoon storm was moving in. At least the winds swept the nasty fiberglass dust away (or spread it out evenly), so cleanup was rather quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment