Saturday, November 20, 2010

Nav Light Ready for Final Installation

Installing the wiring was pretty simple and quickly done. This stomach bug is still wearing me out and so it took me much longer than it should have. First I had to learn how to crimp Molex connectors as there wasn't anything in section 5. Taking a closer look at the AeroLEDs installation manual that came with the nav lights hinted to a PDF file on their website. The direct link to it is here.
The crimping tool they recommend is not necessary. The company they refer to sell it from is out of business since July 2010 anyway, so just get a similar crimping tool at HF. The A and B positions work with that one too. I wanted to give you the HF number but it appears they haven't listed it on their website - at least not under 'crimping'. I'll make a photo next time I'm in the shop.
After installing the wiring and testing the light, it was time for final installation when I stalled. The reason is that they want you to seal the nav light fairing where it contacts the wingtip with Pro-Seal. When you mix Pro-Seal you have to use it up or it will cure and you lose the unused rest. Well, one fairing is really not needing a lot, so besides me thinking that Pro-Seal is overkill to get the seal waterproof I don't want to waste a lot of that stuff either as it is not really cheap. I will let the final installation sit until I have at least both fairings ready for installation or when I come up with a more economic way of sealing the seam.

No comments:

Post a Comment