Sunday, September 26, 2010

Section 14 Done

Today was meant to be a short day. I started picking things up where I left them the night before. The flaperon hinges. I was very careful about aligning them correctly with a little bit of inward tension to keep them in contact after riveting. It turned out to be quite a nice riveting job.



More importantly though, the hinge flanges didn't separate from the inner part and the bearing didn't seize either!

Then these hinges got riveted to the doublers and those then got riveted to the rear spar. Here's a photo of one side, including the outer flange bracket attached to the opposite rear spar.



and here's the other side:



And that was the end of Section 14. Believe it or not, once you get over the time consuming countersinking part it rivets away pretty quickly. Over all, including the priming job, I spent 21 hours on this section.

And while I was preparing the next section, my wife caught me unwrapping a new set of "toys", as she calls it.



Do you want to know what I was thinking about while I unpacked this one package of nose ribs?
Yeah?
It was: "Do I really want to scrub and prime all these?" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment